Friday, June 14, 2013

Naming my Blog

Now that my kids are older, they are out and about a lot more and I find myself with actual free time.  What am I gonna do? - I ask myself.  I have poured myself into my kids' lives for so long that it's all I know.  Sometimes as moms we have a tendency to lose ourselves while we raise our kids.  I don't want that to happen.  So I started thinking that I should start a blog.  I like to journal, so blogging can just be a fun way to post some of what I journal about, pass the time and give me something to do when my kids are out living life with their friends.  So it was settled.  Then came the job of coming up with a name for my blog.  I start brainstorming everything about myself...I'm a praying mom, I have a Pollyanna kind of view of life - trying to look on the bright side and always on the lookout for God's gifts, I work at the library, love my family, and my faith is what keeps me going.  O.K. this should be easy.  NOT!  So I decided to pray about it because that's what I always do when I need help.  I said a prayer for some God given inspiration and decided to call it a night and think about it later. Not long after my head hit the pillow did a memory from my childhood just pop into my head.  A song that my brother and I used to sing on car rides with my dad started playing in my mind.  "Smile awhile, and give your face a rest.  Raise your hands to the one you love the best.  Then shake hands with those nearby and give to them a smile."  Nice song - you might be thinking, but my dad used to drive my brother and I bonkers by changing the words all the time.  "Smile awhile and give your nose a rest...raise your elbow to the one you love the best."  "Thanks Dad!"  I say to myself.  "You would pick that wouldn't you?  But it works."  Even though my dad has been gone for 7+ years he still gets to me.  God and Dad are smiling down on my bloggy spot and all is well with the world.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Angie! Your photo journaling is one of things that inspired me to start a blog and do the Joy Dare. You really know how to celebrate life.

      Delete
  2. I love it sis. You had me smiling huge and tearing up. I think it's a great title and i know dad would love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emma, funny that this would come to me right around Father's Day. I have been so busy that I haven't even had a chance to think about Father's Day. But through divine intervention I was reminded of something special from long ago. It put everything back into focus and caused me to reflect on so many things. I will be stopping at Dad's grave on Sunday as a "Thanks" to him for helping me with my blog name. I know he will be looking down from heaven and saying, "Glad you got to see me!"

    ReplyDelete