Monday, June 24, 2013

God's Choice!

Another mom from our Moms in Prayer group challenged us to not let our praying hands get lazy over the summer, and gave us each a 3 x 5 card to write verses on to pray for our kids.  This morning I was picking out verses to pray for my kids and came across a great devotional in my Mom's Bible that went along with the story of Hannah praying this for her son, "I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of Him.  So now I give him to the LORD.  For his whole life he will be given over to the LORD " (1 Samuel 1:27-28).  The devotional said this:

- Have you ever prayed Hannah's words as your own?  I have several times.  Eagerly I've asked for God to take charge of my children.  Out of fear that I might "ruin" them, I hand them over to Him.  But as I give my children to God, I often hear Him ask:

"Do you really trust me with your children?  Do you trust me to get them to school safely?" 
"Yes!"  I respond.
"Do you believe that I can guide them through an illness?"
"Of course!"
"How about deciding if they will marry - and who?"
"Better you than I!"  I say.
"Then do you trust me to select the very best mother for your children and for who I want them to become?"

We can be the mothers our children need because God divinely chose us for the job.  Don't doubt it.  He knows what He is doing.  And aren't we glad? -

This devotional made me feel so much better.  As my kids are getting older and are both in high school now, I feel a sense of urgency in my role as a parent to teach them everything they need to know and have definitely felt the pressure mounting.  But it really began to sink in today that God chose me to raise my kiddos.  He knows what He's doing, and I'm just a part of the overall picture - His perfect plan.  I ask Him for help everyday, because I can't do it on my own, and I am so grateful to have Him to partner with.  But I'm even more grateful that He believes I'm qualified for the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment